After four kids, ten moves and nearly two decades, we are still blissfully in love (most of the time) and I found myself back in the state I was born and raised in. It has definitely been a journey. In fact, on our 18th anniversary we pulled the last of our stuff up over the pass and into Montana, leaving our surprise love, Idaho, behind. But Montana is a great place. The last best place according to some. And we fully intend to explore as much of it as we can! Join us on our continued adventure through life, love and other stuff that comes with it.

Friday, June 5, 2009

Living vicariously

This morning my mom sent me this email:

Well, here is my first attempt at making sour dough bread. I set the sponge on Wednesday night and mixed it up yesterday. It didn't rise much so I just let it sit overnight. Made the loaf this morning and just took it out of the oven. Your Dad's critic....Damn, that's good!

Love, MOM





My dad has a way with words. What can I say?

I may have drooled. And I have hope that I'll someday get some of my beautiful starter back. The starter that I had been babying for almost 3 months now. Geez. Stupid mommy moments.

_____________________

The recipe I have been using for bread:

2 cups sponge
2T olive oil
4t sugar
2t salt

Stir that all together.

Add 3 cups flour about 1/2 a cup at a time. Stir until a dough forms and knead.

Then I put it in a bowl with olive oil and flip it so the top is oiled. Cover with some plastic wrap and let it raise.

Punch down and shape into a loaf. Slice if desired. Cover with the same plastic wrap since it's already oiled. Let it raise.

Bake at 350 until it's golden brown and sounds hollow when you thump it.

Fun with sourdough. :)

1 comment:

Billye said...

As an added bonus, I chopped up some fresh rosemary and put it in the dough. Extra yummy!