After four kids, ten moves and nearly two decades, we are still blissfully in love (most of the time) and I found myself back in the state I was born and raised in. It has definitely been a journey. In fact, on our 18th anniversary we pulled the last of our stuff up over the pass and into Montana, leaving our surprise love, Idaho, behind. But Montana is a great place. The last best place according to some. And we fully intend to explore as much of it as we can! Join us on our continued adventure through life, love and other stuff that comes with it.

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Into the park

In Yellowstone, if there is a traffic jam, it's usually because there is something to see--like a bear or a moose or breeding bears or a forest fire. Not a bison or an elk, or hot water shooting out of the ground.

On our first trip we really were hoping to see a moose and a bear. But we weren't so lucky. Lots of Bison and lots of elk. Even baby elk. And lots of steam and hot water shooting out of the ground.

On our way in on Friday, it was sprinkling some. Nothing major. Just a sprinkle. And then we came upon a bunch of cars stopped in the road. There are no freeways through Yellowstone. Just two-lane highways with lots of turnouts. But here there were four rows of traffic, all stopped. And people lined up on the side of the road.



I'm going to make fun of them because many of them had umbrellas. Having lived in the Pacific Northwest for the last fifteen years, I can do that. Umbrellas are a curiosity to me.

This was down the bank and on the other side of the creek from where we were.



I was probaby more of an interesting site than people with umbrellas. Carrying my two kids (because neither of them wear shoes in the car) and trying to get a picture of the bear. It wasn't very big. Maybe a year or two old. Someone said it was a grizzly. I'll go with that. I couldn't really tell. Grizzlys have a hump, their ears are little, their claws are really long, and their snout kind of curls up. And we were blocking traffic, so I didn't stand there holding my two kids and a camera and study it. Sorry.

And since we now live in rural America, we can teach our kids early, right?



Waving at everyone.



I think she's a natural, don't you?



DISCLAIMER: The truck wasn't actually moving. After all, she can't reach the gas pedal.

Coming tomorrow: The biggest waterfall I've ever seen. And I got to see it up close thanks to babywearing!

No comments: