After four kids, ten moves and nearly two decades, we are still blissfully in love (most of the time) and I found myself back in the state I was born and raised in. It has definitely been a journey. In fact, on our 18th anniversary we pulled the last of our stuff up over the pass and into Montana, leaving our surprise love, Idaho, behind. But Montana is a great place. The last best place according to some. And we fully intend to explore as much of it as we can! Join us on our continued adventure through life, love and other stuff that comes with it.

Monday, June 8, 2009

Camping in the rain and snow

When my husband was growing up his family went camping quite a lot. They had a 5th wheel travel trailer and from the sound of it, they may have just about worn it out they used it so much. He talks about how much fun they had with it and when I saw that look in his eye when he started talking about us getting one, I coudn't say no. So a few weeks ago we got one. It's older, but it's beautiful. And this past weekend we took it on its maiden voyage.

We went basically down the road to a hot springs that had a camp ground and a pool. Didn't leave until 4 o'clock on Saturday, but that was okay because, well, we were just going down the road.

We got there and while we were getting all settled and leveled and such, it started to rain. But, not to fear! We had a trailer! And a swimming pool for after dinner.

But first dinner. Spagetti is always a great camping meal. But when I went to toast the bread, I had no butter. So, what do you do when you have no butter and you are camping? You do without . . . or you set your five-year-old to work.

I always have cream because it is VERY important in my coffee. And when I was in college I worked at a daycare and as an activity one day we made butter. Did you know that a tablespoon of cream in a small babyfood jar makes one serving of butter? All you do is shake and shake and shake.

Except I didn't have a baby food jar. But I had a sippy cup.



And she's a good shaker.



I even salted the butter some. It was yummy.



After dinner we crashed the pool. The kids loved it. And I must admit, it was pretty fun.

Now since it was raining, there was no fire. And no fire put the eternal camping tradition in danger--s'mores! But, the gas stove is super helpful in that area.



You can even melt the chocolate in the oven, because melting chocolate is VERY important to making the perfect s'more.



Beautiful.



It rained all night and into the morning. But we were in our camp trailer warm and dry. And warm and dry with three kids (or even without three kids) is fabulous!

In the morning, it started to snow. Big fat wet flakes. Grace loved it.



And we packed up and headed home. In the snow.



Next weekend we're pulling out again. This time to Yellowstone. This should be a fun summer.

No comments: