After four kids, ten moves and nearly two decades, we are still blissfully in love (most of the time) and I found myself back in the state I was born and raised in. It has definitely been a journey. In fact, on our 18th anniversary we pulled the last of our stuff up over the pass and into Montana, leaving our surprise love, Idaho, behind. But Montana is a great place. The last best place according to some. And we fully intend to explore as much of it as we can! Join us on our continued adventure through life, love and other stuff that comes with it.

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Snow fun

I grew up in Montana. Snow in the winter was not something that seemed out of place.

Then I moved the the Pacific Northwest and lived there for over fifteen years. Snow in the winter there is something to be feared. In fact, while we were there over Christmas it snowed maybe an inch and an entire urban area suddenly ground to a halt. They just aren't prepared to deal with that kind of weather. Nor does it make sense for them to be since it doesn't happen often enough.

But this is what we came home to. This is my picnic table.



Nearly two feet of snow. Half an hour south of us, they still have only several inches of snow. But we are adjusting well to this change in climate. (Our own little climate change if you will.)

Brent has a new toy, thanks to my little diesel mechanic brother who scoped us out a deal!



And the kids are learning the joys of snow. Grace went to a birthday party before Christmas and they had sleds pulled by horses. She had a total blast.

Now while we aren't exactly prepared with sleds, we improvised. Nothing like a cardboard box and a jump rope.



The kids didn't complain and they had a pretty great time. Until Calla got cold, which takes about 3 minutes. But she's nice enough not to ruin the fun for everyone else and just goes in the house by herself.

But she can be coaxed out again, if you are nice enough. And daddy takes a turn pulling the sled. I was a little tired and he was done blowing snow for the time being.



Grace isn't quite big enough yet to pull daddy on a cardboard sled.



But Grace will play out in that snow for several hours until she gets cold AND tired. Not just cold and not just tired. The kid loves being outside.

Now about Violet. She hates getting all those clothes on and then you take her outside and she doesn't like standing in snow more than an inch deep and she has a hard time walking in snow of any depth with her boots on. So I just put her coat on over her fleece pajamas and threw her in my new toy. An amauti--a traditional carrier. Here she was done being outside and let me know this by standing up. But the whole rest of the time she was snuggled down in there all nice and warm, watching all the fun happily.



Playing in the snow. I think we're going to get a lot of that in over the winter. And I suspect that our current two feet is only going to get deeper. Because that's just how it is here, from what I understand.

And I'm totally okay with it. I have the studded snow tires to prove it!

No comments: