After four kids, ten moves and nearly two decades, we are still blissfully in love (most of the time) and I found myself back in the state I was born and raised in. It has definitely been a journey. In fact, on our 18th anniversary we pulled the last of our stuff up over the pass and into Montana, leaving our surprise love, Idaho, behind. But Montana is a great place. The last best place according to some. And we fully intend to explore as much of it as we can! Join us on our continued adventure through life, love and other stuff that comes with it.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Primal Comfort

I love eating Primal. The food is fabulous.  I don't really miss roughly 98% of what we used to eat. 

However, that 2% that I missed? I think biscuits and gravy made up roughly 1.5% of it.  I haven't really gone out trying to find substitutes for my old favorite things.  It just seemed better that way. 

My sister-in-law, one of them at least, is eating primal, too.  We found it roughly at the same time and completely independently of one another. 

She's ahead of the game though, because she found Primal biscuits and gravy before I did.  She's that awesome. 

I made it and then changed it.  The husband is pretty excited to have this back in the meal rotation.  It's even worthy of having for dinner on occasion. 

Behold, Primal biscuits:


Primal sausage gravy:


Now, the biscuits are different than regular biscuits.  But they make up for the "different" in the "easy" category.  And let's just say it like it is:  the biscuits are really just there so you don't have to eaty the gravy with a spoon.  That's just weird. 

The gravy is just as good as any gravy I've ever made with flour.  Arrowroot starch/flour is a great stand in for flour as thickener here. 


Primal Biscuits
Makes about a dozen

6 egg whites
3/4 cup blanched almond flour
1/4 cup coconut flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 cup milk
1-1/2 teaspoons butter

Heat oven to 400 degrees.  Line baking sheet with parchment paper. 

Mix almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder and salt together in large mixing bowl.  Cut in butter.  Stir in milk.  Set aside.

In a medium bowl wisk egg whites until they are very frothy.  (I cheated and used the blender.)  Fold egg whites into flour mixture until combined.  Drop batter by spoon fulls onto baking sheet. 

Bake 15-18 minutes or until tops are golden.


Primal Sausage Gravy

1 lb. ground sausage
1 tablespoon almond flour
2-3 tablespoons arrowroot powder
2-4 cups of milk
salt and pepper to taste

Brown sausage until cooked through.  Remove from pan, keeping drippings in the pan.  You'll need about 1/4 cup of drippings.  You can add butter or bacon grease if needed.

To drippings add almond flour and arrowroot powder, wisking over medium heat until you get a good paste.

Add milk--I used about 3-1/2 cups since I was feeding my family of six.  Bring to a slow boil, stirring constantly.  Add sausage back into the mixture and continue stirring until it is the desired thickness.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Serve over biscuits.


Primal comfort at its finest. 


1 comment:

Katrina said...

OMG!!! Awesome. I can't wait to try them. Thank you!!!