After four kids, ten moves and nearly two decades, we are still blissfully in love (most of the time) and I found myself back in the state I was born and raised in. It has definitely been a journey. In fact, on our 18th anniversary we pulled the last of our stuff up over the pass and into Montana, leaving our surprise love, Idaho, behind. But Montana is a great place. The last best place according to some. And we fully intend to explore as much of it as we can! Join us on our continued adventure through life, love and other stuff that comes with it.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Irony of labels

I'm tired of feeling labeled by labels I don't think fit me.  So, for purposes that make me feel better about who I am and what I believe and what I support and what I don't support, I think I shall re-define a few words and play along so I can feel good about being an old fashioned, intolerant, ignorant bigot who feels hate towards fellow humans, since that's apparently what I am and how I feel.



Bigot:  a person who does not agree with or whole-heartedly support and defend the current political hot topic. 

That's much more accurate than the current definitiona person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance


Ignorant:  not agreeing with or whole-heartedly supporting or defending the current political hot topic.

That seems a much more accurate definition of my ignorance than the current definition destitute of knowledge or education; also : lacking knowledge or comprehension of the thing specified


Hate: to not agree with or whole-heartedly support or defend the current political hot topic. 

That seems much more accurate of my feelings than the current definitionintense hostility and aversion usually deriving from fear, anger, or sense of injury
 

Intolerant: not agreeing with or whole-heartedly supporting or defending the current political hot topic.

Again, this seems more accurate than the current definition: a : unwilling to grant equal freedom of expression especially in religious matters b : unwilling to grant or share social, political, or professional rights : bigoted


Since I already re-defined bigot and I think intolerant has such negative connotations, I think I prefer the term old fashioned.  But I don't like the connotations there, either.  So, I shall re-define old fashioned, too.

Old fashioned:  a person who holds onto what they believe no matter what they are labeled and does his/her best to not label others with strong, negative labels and then attack him/her based on a few assumptions associated with that label.  

No comments: