After four kids, ten moves and nearly two decades, we are still blissfully in love (most of the time) and I found myself back in the state I was born and raised in. It has definitely been a journey. In fact, on our 18th anniversary we pulled the last of our stuff up over the pass and into Montana, leaving our surprise love, Idaho, behind. But Montana is a great place. The last best place according to some. And we fully intend to explore as much of it as we can! Join us on our continued adventure through life, love and other stuff that comes with it.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Happy International Babywearing Week!

If there's one thing you know about me, it's probably that I carry my babies in all kinds of contraptions.  Some of the contraptions are homemade and some of them are not.  But they all do the job and my life and the lives of my children (and husband) are better for these contraptions. 

One of my first carriers and my first carries over FIVE years ago with my little Calla. 


This week Babywearing International is celebrating International Babywearing Week as they have since 2008.  Along with The Babywearer.com (which is a website that changed my life), they host contests and bring together groups from around the world to celebrate.  This year Idaho Babywearers --aka BWI of S. Idaho--got involved and so it looks a little different.

One of the things I am most excited about is the newsletter.  I may have had something to do with it, but I am so excited that so many people jumped on board with some great content!  There is a great article in there about Tummy Time and how carried babies don't need tummy time.  And there are a couple articles about some great groups around the nation.  BWI is doing some great things.  I love Ann Marie's line in her letter (she's the president) about how BWI's goal is that every parent has a carrier and knows how to use it.  A lofty goal, but why not??  The sky is the limit when it feels right all the way down to your core.

And then I got a phone call from a friend yesterday.  I may have screamed in glee when she told me she was on her way to pick up a foster baby.  And what did she need to know and what did she need???  Well, she needs a carrier.  Check.  I gave her the short list.  Because that's really all babies need is a short list.  Food makes the first two, too.

Speaking of food, I read this great book recently.  The Primal Blueprint.  It's changing my life.  In it he talks about what our genes are programed to need and how we can maximize our genetics by eating the right food and moving our bodies they way they are made to move.  It completely makes sense to me. 

He creates these two fictional characters--one of them primal and one of them not.  The primal guy lives off the land with his family, foraging and hunting and such.  AND HIS WIFE NURSES THEIR BABIES UNTIL THEY ARE THREE AND CARRIES THEM IN A SLING!  This guy who has built his life around fitness and health gets that wearing and nursing our babies is a part of how we are made.  Awesome.

Happy Babywearing!  And happy International Babywearing Week!

No comments: