After four kids, ten moves and nearly two decades, we are still blissfully in love (most of the time) and I found myself back in the state I was born and raised in. It has definitely been a journey. In fact, on our 18th anniversary we pulled the last of our stuff up over the pass and into Montana, leaving our surprise love, Idaho, behind. But Montana is a great place. The last best place according to some. And we fully intend to explore as much of it as we can! Join us on our continued adventure through life, love and other stuff that comes with it.

Monday, April 12, 2010

Five new babies



For the last three weeks we have been incubating chicken eggs. And this weekend five of them hatched. I'll be honest, I'm pretty disappointed that we only got five. We had ten eggs. But between the fact that I don't think the source was all that great and the fact that they got a little cold over the Easter weekend, we only ended up with five babies.

But, the girls are thrilled. Grace and Calla cannot stay way from them. And Violet wakes up in the morning and goes to sleep at night talking about baby chickens.

I'm sure it would be more economical to go down to the farm store and get babies, but the experience my kids get watching the process is invaluable. Plus, since five of them didn't make it, we get to experience reality on a small but very real level. Yes, death happens. And I think it's good for them to experience.

The other side of the coin is three little girls VERY excited to watch eggs hatch and VERY excited to sit around a water tub and watch baby birds.



Priceless.

My goal is to have between six and ten laying hens by fall, so we'll go supplement these with some babies from the farm store. That's pretty fun, too--taking kids down to the store and buying baby chickens. It's sure to be a good time!

No comments: