After four kids, ten moves and nearly two decades, we are still blissfully in love (most of the time) and I found myself back in the state I was born and raised in. It has definitely been a journey. In fact, on our 18th anniversary we pulled the last of our stuff up over the pass and into Montana, leaving our surprise love, Idaho, behind. But Montana is a great place. The last best place according to some. And we fully intend to explore as much of it as we can! Join us on our continued adventure through life, love and other stuff that comes with it.

Thursday, November 27, 2008

I'm thankful for . . .

It was a small gathering this year at the in-laws. Our family of five, grandma and grandpa (my in-laws), great grandma, the brother-in-law and his new little wife, and the neighbor. And a 22 pound turkey.

After dinner (which was very good by all standards) we partook in normal post-meal activities--dusting the ceiling and changing light bulbs. It's very important you know.

It started with the new sister-in-law (bless her heart) and her concern about the dust on the smoke detector that was a good 20 feet up, mounted on the ceiling. It's a legitimate concern. That much dust could affect the smoke detecting ability of a smoke detector.

My mother-in-law is never caught unprepared. It's something I've learned in my 12 years as part of the family. I think somewhere in that purse of hers she might just have a cordless drill and probably a ladder and a hat rack and a full length mirror and a nice plant for the corner. Her purse doesn't even resemble a carpet bag. That's the amazing part.

Grandma (my mother-in-law) went into the garage and pulled out a telescoping pole with various attachments--a duster and a suction cup--that she had recently purchased because she "thought it might come in handy." She handed it to my husband who promptly attached the duster, extended the pole and dusted the fire detector. And since he was up there, the ceiling.

Then the other brother called. "Yea, we're just dusting the ceiling. Doesn't everyone do that after Thanksgiving dinner?"

Not a football game in site. Really. And nobody was asleep on the couch. Although the newest sister-in-law was thinking it was a good idea.

"Mom. Do you have some more lightbulbs?" Of course she does. She's like this real life Mary Poppins who just pulls things out of her bag. He knows that.

The ensuing activity was one I did not want my dare devil 2-year-old to watch. They couldn't get the suction cup to stick to the burned-out light bulbs. My brother-in-law wanted a ladder on the island. But his mom would only let him have a step stool. Bless her heart.

All 6'5", 230lbs of him standing on a step stool. On the counter. I prayed my 2-year-old was still glued to the television in the other room.

My new sister-in-law looked at them and asked, "How many Donnellys does it take to change a light bulb?" Well, the way they work, it depends on how many of them are in the room. It's a team effort.

I'm happy to report that nobody was injured in the changing of that lightbulb.

The second light bulb was not over the island where he could reach it. It was more between the island and the refrigerator. I suggested they get a 2x4 and make a ramp between the counter and the fridge--kidding of course, but you never know. They thought pulling the fridge out and standing on top of it was a better idea--not kidding of course. "How much do you weigh?" my husband asks him.

They settled for a piece of Scotch tape on the suction cup. I was pleased. Nobody was injured. My 2-year-old didn't see it. And now we won't have to do that for at least another year. Unless they burn out before Easter.

Yes. I'm thankful for Scotch tape.

Happy Thanksgiving! And happy babywearing!

No comments: