After four kids, ten moves and nearly two decades, we are still blissfully in love (most of the time) and I found myself back in the state I was born and raised in. It has definitely been a journey. In fact, on our 18th anniversary we pulled the last of our stuff up over the pass and into Montana, leaving our surprise love, Idaho, behind. But Montana is a great place. The last best place according to some. And we fully intend to explore as much of it as we can! Join us on our continued adventure through life, love and other stuff that comes with it.

Friday, December 4, 2009

Sourdough carmel cinnamon buns

Yesterday after my massive sourdough post, I was chastised. I guess it was for good reason.

I ended my post with this photo.



My apologies. And if you accept them, you may read on. Because I'm telling you how today I made a failed attempt at them.

But all the same, here's what I started with:



A batch of sourdough dough (haha) that I added a little more sugar to--on its first rise. I also only used a cup and a half of starter. But my starter was pretty wet and later I'll explain what I should have done differently there. Brown sugar, 1/4 cup sugar mixed with some cinnamon, whipping cream, butter, and a 9 x 9 pan.

A note: I start my dough in the late afternoon and then put the rolls together after all the kids are in bed.

The recipe is actually my variation of my mother's sour cream cinnamon rolls.

Put 1/4 cup butter, 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup cream in a sauce pan.



Over medium heat, bring to boil and boil and stir until the sugar is dissolved.

Roll your dough into a rectangle.



Check your carmel mixture.



I'm such a carmel junkie.

Butter your dough rectangle and sprinkle it with cinnamon and sugar. My husband isn't a fan of too much cinnamon, so these are cinnamon-lite rolls. But with the carmel, the amount of cinnamon really isn't important.



Roll your rectangle into a looooong roll and pinch the seam.



Pour your carmel into the baking dish.



Cut the long roll into little rolls.



Notice there are a LOT of rolls for that little pan? That was my mistake. I should have just put 9 of them in there, but I decided to do all of them.

Put 9 of the little rolls into the carmel puddle in the baking dish.



Now cover them in plastic and put them in the fridge overnight.

In the morning they'll look like this.



Bake them at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. They'll be lovely and golden brown and the carmel will be baked into the dough. These aren't quite done. FYI.



I squished too many of them into the pan and then I didn't bake them long enough.

Now the secret to these rolls is to flip them onto foil when they are fresh out of the oven. Then the carmel that wasn't baked into the rolls is all oozy and blankets the rest of the roll.

They should look like this:



They should not look like this:



I actually put these back into the oven, just like this, because they were doughy in the middle.

I think I actually made TWO mistakes. The first one was that my starter was more watery than I anticipated and it made more dough than I wanted to. The second mistake was that I just went ahead and ignored my "too much dough" thought and put it all in the pan anyway.

But remember what I said about that carmel? How it really doesn't' matter? Well, as disappointed as I was in this batch, there were certainly no complaints. And this is my evidence of that.



Yes, I'm a carmel junkie, but I did NOT eat them all.

Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

Jaqueline said...

Ms. Donnelly,
I make some yummy sticky buns as well. I cheat a bit and get some cinnamon roll mix out of the box.
Get the dough ready and all done rising.

Put a stick of butter in my pan while the oven pre heats a bit, and roll out the dough spread with butter cinnamon & brown sugar, roll & cut.

The pan out of the oven some whipping cream & cup of brown sugar, stir it up, add some pecans and lay put in you rolls.

Bake the cookie dough you made (no idea why I make cookies the same day) until the rolls are done rising and bake at 325 for 40 ish min.

OMG- best thing ever.

Butter & brown sugar is the best thing ever.