After four kids, ten moves and nearly two decades, we are still blissfully in love (most of the time) and I found myself back in the state I was born and raised in. It has definitely been a journey. In fact, on our 18th anniversary we pulled the last of our stuff up over the pass and into Montana, leaving our surprise love, Idaho, behind. But Montana is a great place. The last best place according to some. And we fully intend to explore as much of it as we can! Join us on our continued adventure through life, love and other stuff that comes with it.

Thursday, February 18, 2010

While mommy is away--Part III

While daddy was at home bowling and folding laundry, painting and baking, I was sitting up in Sun Valley in a secluded retreat center sewing away--though I did get out and enjoy the snow and sunshine, too.

First project was this thing. An Amauti--a traditional Inuit babywearing coat.



Absolutely amazing, minus the camouflage. I just can't do camo. So, before I left I took the whole thing apart, got the seam ripper out and ripped the camo off, washed it all and packed it away to take as my first priority. Needless to say, I was nervous.

Two days later--after putting each piece on and then ripping it off at least once and sometimes as many as three times, it was done. I think I may have stayed up until midnight that night working on it. Really, I had no idea what I was doing because I had never tackled anything like it before. But, I persevered and I am beyond thrilled with how it turned out. Beyond thrilled.



Second project I had packed just in case I decided I didn't want to do anything else. Actually, every project after the Amauti was packed as a very distant priority depending on my mood and what kind of time I had left. I had a quilt, a possible quilt, and this pattern for skirts for the girls. The two older ones had chosen some fabric about a year ago for a project I don't recall anymore, so I grabbed that fabric thinking it might be enough for that project. And I rummaged around and found some fabric that would work for Violet.

After the Amauti was done, those skirts were what was calling my name. After all it was Valentines Day and I hadn't even thought of anything to do for them. And my girls are dress girls, so I set to work. By the end of the evening, I had three skirts and I was bursting with excitement because they turned out so great. I had altered Violet's some, because Violet really has no business twirling too much and I was tired of gathering. And I was tired and wanted to go to bed.

I was so happy to have something for the girls. And they just had to put them on (over their clothes) to try them out.



And Calla told me that she was going to wear hers to school EVERY DAY!



So far, she's worn it two of the two days back since she got it.

Violet on the other hand, had fallen asleep on the way to pick me up (no nap) and couldn't quite fugue out what was going on.



In fact, I think she was wondering if mommy was just a dream, because she just kept looking at me like she couldn't believe it was really mommy after so long without her. And then she just went back to sleep.

But the other two twirled and twirled and twirled. Then we had dinner and they went to bed, dreaming of wearing their new twirly skirt to school the next day.

It did my heart good to have such a great present for them. And if all goes well, those skirts should fit them for a few years.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you have copy writer for so good articles? If so please give me contacts, because this really rocks! :)

Heidi said...

I don't have a copy writer. It's just me and my crazy self.

txjanet said...

The coat is really cool! Did you have a pattern? That's something I've not seen before, and it looks great on you. Now I have to go read up on those! :)

Heidi said...

I didn't make the coat. I bought it used. I just ripped the camo off and made it pretty. So I don't have a pattern. And out of respect for the keepers of the traditional patterns, I can't make one in good conscience. But there are some great people who make beautiful ones for sale. One website you can check out: www.amautibaby.com :)